Thursday, June 30, 2022

Misguided Impressions of Cancer

View on the web here.

 

A man split down the middle with one half looking healthy and happy and the other pale and sick, versions, illness, chronic, bad days

 

Cancer is Not What You Think

Matt Goldman- Before May 2, 2011, cancer was a giant mystery to me. I can't recall anyone in my family having cancer.  My impression of cancer was very simple; you either beat it or you don't. I suppose that is sort of accurate. But I also thought that going into remission or not, happened in about one year.  When diagnosed, I assumed I'd lose all my hair and would be sick all the time. I also thought all cancers were the same. Cancer is cancer and that's it. Friends or coworkers or family would tell me anecdotes of someone they knew who had survived cancer, any kind of cancer, who had gone on to complete amazing feats. I'd smile and say thanks, uplifted by these tales. To sum it up, my misguided... Read more

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Blood Cancer In America: Community Findings Over The Years

Learn more

Forums - Blood-Cancer.com

Talk about it

Visit the Blood-Cancer.com forums.
Learn more

Introducing the Social Health Network and Awards Program

Editorial Team- We are very excited to announce the launch of the Social Health Network and Awards! The Social Health Network is a community for patients, caregivers, and healthcare professionals with the goal of bringing empathy, support, and humanity to the healthcare industry. We define social health as the dynamic, real-time action people take to find meaningful connections and share information that impacts the health journey. Our extensive research in social health and the patient experience, and continued patient leader partnerships, have given us the perfect opportunity... Read more

Diagnosis Rulebook 101

Yolanda Brunson-Sarrabo- There are no instructions or directions on how to adjust and feel about being diagnosed with blood cancer. The route will allow you to move forward in drips as you adjust to the valid question of how did you get to this unforeseeable place. It indeed is a process that is very individual and no one-size cap fits all. Here are some things to consider on this long and at times emotional journey. Our body is so unique it can pick up any mechanism of fear... Read more

Leon Russell and Me: Making Final Arrangements

Connie Connely- What do I have in common with musician and songwriter Leon Russell? We share the same hometown, graduated from the same high school (Will Rogers, Class of 1959 for Leon, proud Class of 1974 for me!), and our final resting place will be the same, Memorial Park Cemetery in Tulsa, Oklahoma. My mother and I never miss a season to decorate my father's grave at Memorial Park. After we take care of Dad's grave, we drive by the piano-shaped monument engraved with the words to one... Read more

You Are Seen

Jim Smith- We never really see ourselves. I mean that literally. Our eyes face forward at the world around us. We have no real way of seeing what others see when they look at us. Sure, we can look in a mirror, but that’s a reverse image. The closest I’ve ever gotten is with my youtube videos. Still, it doesn’t show who I really am. Some of us feel invisible at times. We don’t see ourselves, so we feel like we’re walking unseen. It’s... Read more

Trying to Step Away from Cancer

Ann Harper- Finding out that you are cured of cancer should be a time to celebrate. When my daughter, Crystal found out she was cured of her blood cancer we all felt blessed. She thought everything would be ok, and for a while it was. Until It wasn’t. She seemed alright until she left to get back to her life. That’s when she started suffering from PTSD, fear of it coming back, side effects from treatments and chemo, loneliness, and isolation - and that just names... Read more

Read other headlines on Blood-Cancer.com.

 

Socially accessible - Blood-Cancer.com
We're active on your social network.
Blood-Cancer.com on Twitter
Blood-Cancer.com on Facebook
Blood-Cancer.com on Instagram

Featured story:
My Blood Cancer

In July of 2019, I injured my back. It would not get better. It seemed to keep getting worse. After repeated visits to the Dr and to Physical Therapy, the doctor was not sure why I was not getting better. He finally approved that I can get an MRI in August/September. Within an hour of getting the MRI, I received a call from the doctor's nurse stating that the doctor wanted to see me the next day. I went in for the appointment, and I was advised that I had several lesions on my spine, hip, and rib cage and that I need to see an oncologist. I made an appointment with... Read more

Read other stories, or submit your own at Blood-Cancer.com.

Poll:
What does remission mean to you?

Click to submit your response on Blood-Cancer.com.

□ My cancer has been cured

□ My cancer is undetectable, and I don't need further treatment

□ My cancer is undetectable, but I need to do ongoing treatment

□ My cancer might come back

 


No comments:

Post a Comment